20071222

Passing of the Storm



Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.”

H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Once again I exhale to begin breathing. The storm has passed restoring the ability to see beyond the waning sunlight as the angels gently kiss me on the brow. I can not conceive as to why we are so blessed to experience a state of grace such as this. Why improbability of fate touches some and forsakes others? Watching the storm drift past the horizon I resolutely know with certainty that only time separates our next encounter. I am not so foolish to believe that we shall forever ignore the laws of probability. However on this day I watch with bounding spirit as the storm passes.

After a month of dread and numerous medical procedures it has been determined than the “massive mass” in my wife’s abdomen is a somewhat benign condition called a “Uterine Fibroid Tumor”. Uterine fibroids are nodules of smooth muscle cells and fibrous connective tissue that develop within the wall of the uterus. In her case it has grown to the size of a baseball. The prescribed treatment is to observe the mass every six weeks using ultrasound and if it remains benign we can ignore it. Once again life returns to a normal rhythm for which I am grateful.

I believe in the love that you gave me
I believe in the faith that could save me
I believe in the hope
and I pray that some day
It may raise me above these


Bruce Springsteen (Badlands)