20061116

Who am I Fooling?



For years I have carefully studied light, composition, contrast, balance, texture, rhythm and color in an attempt to develop an eye for photography. It has been one of my interests although I still am humbled by the skills of many artists. I have now been humbled by myself to such a degree that my confidence has been shaken. The photo you see before you was taken by me, but the circumstances are of interest.

As I was leaving the office I noticed the approaching sunset which had all ingredients of a memorable moment. About the time I pulled into rush hour traffic on the interstate the sunset began to peak. It was difficult driving in traffic and glancing at the sky. Suddenly I realized my camera was in the passenger’s seat. On the spur of the moment without much thought I opened the sunroof and while darting in traffic extended my hand out the sunroof ripping off a few shots without aiming the viewfinder or focusing. The photo you observe is a random reflex requiring no talent or framing. Staring at the photo I am startled that it may be equal to my best photos. All this time I’m telling myself that I have honed my skilled to an elevated state. Who am I fooling?


"He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper."

Edmund Burke (1729–1797)