20060525

Headed to the Big Stage


The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man”.
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)


Opening the email I thought it was a joke at first. A read the message again slowly, waiting to hear giggles of the staff from around the corner. I peaked from my office into the bullpen and everyone had their head down working away. Sitting back in my chair I read the email again. The organization was recognizable and the names were familiar, but the brief request was startling.

We are looking for a speaker for our 2007 Conference in Australia and were wondering if you would be interested. It would only be for one hour. In addition to a speaking fee of $4,000 we would cover the cost of a coach ticket and your hotel for 4 nights. I look forward to hearing from you.”

When did the world decide I had something important to say? I’ve got to smile knowing that I don’t even know what’s so important about my message, I spend most of my time just trying to figured it out. I have no silver bullet, no magic formula; each project is a struggle in resolution. It’s a mystery why would an international organization spend what amounts to $10,000 for one hour of my time?

This honor comes at a time when I views have become more radical, more reactionary and less tolerant of compliancy. My message is darker and deeply cynical that humanity will fail to awaken to the ecological holocaust that we are conducting. There are signs that we may have past the tipping point of ecological survival, but blindly we are sedated by a daily fill of electronic games and mindless pandering of self promoting broadcast networks. We have lost our passion as we have become a society of obese predators preoccupied with the social dribble of Hollywood. The immigration issue gave me a small glimpse of hope. It has been almost 30 years since as a nation we gathered in mass in the streets to collectively have our voices counted. I don’t care what side of the immigration issue you’re on, but it caused millions of people to take to the streets in anger. That is the important message.

Continuing to attack standard convention I become more intellectually isolated from mainstream professionals. Even friends disassociate out of fear of repercussion as if talking to me is an ethical betrayal. As George Orwell once said “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. “ As I reflect on this speaking request I begin to consider the interest in me as a speaker lies in the avocation of anarchy. Not so much as with what I say but rather that I’m willing to say it with all its consequences. Reaching the point in my professional career that I can say what I want without concern of consequences, I can now wear the “color purple”.

Outside my window is a small girl not much older than two years old playing in a small trickle of water running in the gutter along the curb. Her golden blond hair blows in the wind as she is dressed in a matching pink outfit and sandals. Completely immersed in her world she plays with a few small leaves as they float in the water. The sense of wonder and discovery is evident as I watch undetected. It’s a beautiful sunny day, first warmth of summer in the air as she laughs with each new insight with a voice that only I hear. The joy of her innocence is not in what’s she is saying, but in the rapture of her discovery. As I watch her I see that we are no different. I see my ability to immerse myself in the joy of discovery isolated from the world. I have always known that I am but a child still learning, never comfortable with the extent of my experiences. That is why it remains such a mystery that someone would value an hour of my time enough to fly me halfway around the world to tell them that what we are doing sucks.

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.”

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)